Monday, June 27, 2011

A state of confusion and what ifs

I arrive at the ER with my parents in the early evening. As I'm waiting to be called, I'm sitting hunched over grabbing my stomach rocking back and forth because of the pain...it was crazy. Finally I get called and go through the whole admission process. I don't remember much after that until I'm on a stretcher in the middle of the ER hallway. It was so crowded, they were just sticking people in the hallways. Numerous doctors and nurses came to speak with me and get details of what I was feeling and blah blah. My parents were doing a good job at trying to distract me from the pain. They had me on morphine which was barely helping with the pain. I was in the ER hallway on that bed for about 28 hours. I was on one side of the hallway then they moved me to the other side of the hallway near the nurses station then I got an exam room for about 3 hours before I actually got admitted to a hospital bed.

I think I finally got to my hospital room about 9pm the following day. They had me on dilaudid IV which is stronger than morphine and that was easing the pain but only for a short amount of time. I felt like I kept asking for it every hour but they would only give it to me every couple hours. All I really remember is being in a lot of pain and constantly using the bathroom and losing a lot of blood but not enough for a transfusion which was good. I remember the pain IV being AMAZING and instantly taking the pain away and putting me in a state of relaxation which I hadn't felt in months.
I saw a few GI doctors that worked in the hospital. They came and discussed how the pain was and what medications I would be taking which I was all too familiar with. They had me on an all liquid diet which SUCKS. I was getting liquids through an IV and was only allowed to eat jello, chicken broth, and those nasty boost/ensure drinks. I went from a thin but healthy 125lbs to a scary and deathly looking 90-something pounds. I was all bones. I must say it was pretty gross and I refused to look at myself in the mirror and HATED being weighed every morning by the nurse. I don't know what difference they were expecting to see. It was the same everyday, ugh.

Days turned into weeks and there was no progress. The doctors had me on a high dose of prednisone and about a million pills treated for colitis and nothing was working. Pain was the same, felt like I was always saying 8 or 9 when the nurse asked "On a scale of 1-10 on pain, 10 being the highest, what is your level?" I hated being asked that question, it got old reallll quick but hey they're just doing their job. The doctor(s) didn't really know what to do. They were kinda confused as to why the pain was so bad and not going away like it had previous times when I had a flare up. After being in the hospital for almost a month, they decided to send up a surgeon to talk with me and this is where a life changing experience began.

No comments:

Post a Comment